Forum

Forum

Is it a good thing that Bon died

ros3
Member #23,267

Num Posts: 87

Now hear me out here. My point is this. After Bon died AC/DC came back slicker and more polished than they were before and a lot of the intrest around BIB was because it was a tribute to there lost singer and a defient outlook to the future. Now nobody doubts the genius of Bon (i love the guy) but would AC/DC have cut it in the eightys with him. I think that his beer swilling bird shagging antics would have looked dated and out of place in the ultra slick eightys. Where as with Brian they were given a clean slate and were able to become the giant they are today. Just a thought...
LiveWire101
Member #21,015

Num Posts: 293

i agree 100 percent MUSICALLY but a person dieing isn't a good thing
ros3
Member #23,267

That's true. It was a sin the way he went. But all i was saying is was it a good thing MUSICALLY for DC that he did.??...
rosetattoo
Member #21,001

Num Posts: 11

Gents (and ladies), I find this post to be an interesting one as it poses so many questions, and finding answers that everyone can agree on will be hard!! The facts are simple, Bon died at a point when the band were undergoing musical changes. If you listen the HTH compared to say Powerage or LTBR, the production and the style changed massively. It is entirely possible that a Back in Black style album was next whatever happended to Bon, but clearly it wouldn't have been called Back in Black!! I am not convinced that the band would have produced a series of albums with Bon as they have done with Brian however, with Bon's roots I am not sure the more 'metal' sound of FTATR wouldn't have sit well with his vocal style, and I also believe some of the tamer 'filler' albums such as FOTW and BUYV would have been much more of a musical treat with Bon at the helm. As a Bon man and with all due respect to Brian, I firmly believe that the style and path of the band woud have been massively different had Bon been alive to this day, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they would have been as massive. It's proven with other bands that a line up can get stale and this in itself leads to musical differences and parting of the ways. I think credit should go to Brian, as without him the band wouldn't have been as sucessful without him, his vocal style is not always music to my ears as I prefer a less 'grainy' voice but no one can knock him, he continues to do it even at his time of life. To conclude, in my humble opinion (lol), the path the band took would have been totally different direction with Bon at the helm, the 80's wouldn't have changed him, he would still drink and shag till the cows came home and let's face it, Motley Crue didn't do that bad mixing tunes and shagging did they?
HighVoltage
Member #74

Num Posts: 164

musically....yes... I think Bon was the ultimate RRoller, and he would have kept the band more on classic rock (well....either way....after 1980 anyone can tell AC/DC adopted a much harder sound/production......compared to all the Bon/70s albums) and I'd have prefered it this way (however, BIB, and then BB, SUL and BI are really brilliant albums (again), the band has found their way back eventually! for me) but undoubtedly....unfortunately...when someone dies, suddenly EVERYBODY is interested...so I think Bon's death had a lot to do with BIB selling so many units (still, it's one of the best with Brian, who does a great job btw, but it takes a bit more than just a good album in hard rock to become one of the best selling albums of all time!) so... maybe AC/DC would't have done so well as in the 70s (but they downgraded in the 80s anyway, just as so many other classic rock bands in the 80s (and early 90s)) ....but who cares...they would be big again now, just like the current band!
HighVoltage
Member #74

with downgraded in the 80s I mean the studio output....of course! Live is a different story as you know!
ros3
Member #23,267

Right getting back to the point of the thread. Maybe my first post wasent clear enough. I believe that Bon dieing was the best thing that could have happened to DC. Because i dont think his antics would have fitted in the Eighty's. I believe that they would have looked dated and old. And lets face it if Bon haddent died then the intrest in the band would not have been as high and thus they would not have been as big as they now are..
Patrick_Ronacher
Member #15,810

Num Posts: 504

I think if Bon would still be alive, then all the albums after H2H would be different. Even though H2H was a wee bit polished aswell. But still the best Album of Mutt Lange production era. Even though imo FOTS and FOTW were more back to the roots DC Albums which in case also have shown which fans stood with the band and which one (the polished pop fans as I would say) departed from them. There is a funny story. They were people who didnīt like AC/DC and were all like "OMG". After BI came out they became fans. I can still laugh about that.
HighVoltage
Member #74

oooops...sorry, big cock-up in the first line of my first post.....I have not read the topic title properly.... NO!! It wasn't a good thing that Bon died!!! should drink less when I post in the forum :D
ros3
Member #23,267

Aye we should probably all drink less before we post in the forum. To clarify. IT WAS NOT A GOOD THING THAT BON DIED. Least of all for him. But is it a good thing that he did (musically and carear wise for DC.)....????...
HAWKSACDC1
Member #23,801

Num Posts: 61

i believe that if bon would have lived, acdc would have never gotten as big as they are now, but they would still be pretty big but not as big as brian help make them, but of course its not a good thing for him as a person to die
HAWKSACDC1
Member #23,801

Num Posts: 61

so as a band, yes, as a person, no

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.