Forum

Forum

Record Store Day Single: Shoot to Thrill/War Machine

BigNate
Member #1

Num Posts: 1,776

I snagged one this morning, but just barely. I called ahead yesterday to the one store in Fargo that was taking part in Record Store Day and found out they only had 3 copies in stock for today. I got to the store about 10 minutes before it opened and there was already a line of about 15 people waiting for the store to open. I parked, got in line and waited for the doors to open. I got inside and went to the 'A' section of the Record Store Day releases and only found 12 inchers. I went back around and asked the clerk and he said the 7 inches were on the opposite end of the row, and he said the AC/DC singles should be right in front. I wrestled my way to the front and flipped through the singles a few times and didn't find the one I was looking for. They had all been grabbed within the 5 minutes the store had been open. Out of desperation, I went to the back of the store to where the regular LP's were and happened to notice a guy that had probably 20-30 records total in his stack. As he was thumbing through them, I saw he had at least 2 of the singles. I'm not sure if he grabbed all three or not, but I checked with him to see if there was any way I could get one of them. He was very reluctant, but handed one over when I told him there were only 3 in the store. I paid my $7 and got out! The packaging looks cool, very clean and nice looking. Last week, my basement took on water so I had to tear up all of the carpet & move my stereo, tv, etc. At the moment, my record player & stereo are dismantled and stacked in a closet. If I'm able to get everything hooked up soon, I will get it ripped & shared unless it turns up somewhere else.
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Num Posts: 1,486

That's great you got one nate,I unfortunately did not :( Amazing you got one,considering there being only 3 at the store.
jessestorozuk
Member #20,764

Num Posts: 380

only 3 wow thats it. i got 2 of them here. it sounds great. but i have now way of recording it to flac/mp3.
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

Num Posts: 607

I was lucky enough to find a copy of the 7" at a record store in Spokane. When I went into the store, the owner said that he might have been out of copies, but then he looked through a box of RSD-only 7"s and he found what probably was the last copy he had. So I bought it and I went home and listened to it. It sounds fucking great! Now I have to do is rip the 7" and add it to my iPod and I'm good to go =D
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

Oh, and if anyone would like a copy of the rip, just PM me =D
wesley12106
Member #23,828

Num Posts: 331

I bought 2 both from different stores, both being the last one in stock(lucky). One of them I opened to play and one is mint and sealed to be displayed/collected.
SGthunder33
Member #23,974

Num Posts: 154

I barely got mine too there was only one left, and I was so nervous because I had to have my friend get it for me since I was out of town all day at a track meet. I owe my friend big time haha I was stoked! Just got home can't wait to listen to it!
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

Num Posts: 510

i picked up 10 copies friday morning from my buddy's shop,but went to the mountains after that for the weekend. the rip that someone has,is it mp3 or wav or what? i got a $12,000 vpi tnt turntable set up & a real audio burner for the comp(xp sound xp 201),not 1 of those shit ass usb tables that sound like crap.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

opps,hit the post button too soon,lol!! so if anyone would like me to burn it & post a link,let me know.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

ok,had a request from flickofthethunderdeeds for a upload link on both tracks. i cleaned the vinyl 1st with nitty griity's first rv pre cleaner, then used nitty gritty's pure 2 cleaning fluid & vacuumed it off with their record master cleaning machine. recorded it as a wav file with my vpi tnt 2.5 turntable with a graham 1.5 tonearm & a audio quest 7000 moving coil cartridge all conected by monster cables to my xp sound xp201 audio burner which is installed into my comp.'s extra hard drive bay. didn't do any kind of clean up to the audio after burning it, i'll leave that up to you guys, but i'm almost positive it won't need any or much clean up at all,didn't notice any pops or clicks while recording. so anyone who want the links for them,send me a pm, ;-)
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Num Posts: 1,486

Downloading Shoot To Thrill right now, Will be cool to compare it to the Doc's rip, which was really good. (I'm weird,I like having multiple sources for stuff,idk, lol) Having a huge Hard Drive helps too.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

what did doc use to burn his version 1 of those usb tables????
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

NP: I use a regular turntable (not a USB one.) I plug in A/V cables from my turntable to the line-in jack on the back of my computer and use Audacity to rip the vinyl. I don't clean it up or anything, I just leave it as is, even if they are many (or little depending on the vinyl's condition) pops and/or clicks :)
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

ok, good deal then. if you like the links to my rips,let me know.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

hey doc, how did you just plug your table into the line in jack without useing a pre amp? turntables have a much lower output level compared to a cd player or radio which has a line level output. does your table have a built in pre amp to bring it up to line levels? normally,if you don't have a pre amp,the recording would be almost impossible to hear due to the lower output of the cartridge.
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

NP: I forgot to mention that I do use a preamp. My turntable is plugged into a stereo, with an A/V cable plugged in from a line-out jack on the back on my stereo (which is in phono mode) to my computer's line-in jack. I did try to plug in my A/V cable directly from my turntable to my computer at one time, but there was no noise, so what you said about a preamp must have been why I didn't hear the noise in the first place. So then I replugged my A/V cable to where it is now, from my stereo's line-out jack (set to phono mode) to my computer :)
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

ahh,ok. yeah,without some sort of pre amp,you won't hear anything or just a very low sound from the table. what kind of table/cartridge do you have? i got 2 of them,that vpi tnt 2.5 & a technics SD-QD33 which i use for vinyls that are not in top notch condition. will not even dream of playing anything less than a perfect vinyl on the tnt since the cartridge costs $1200 to replace or $800 to re tip, being a moving coil type, the needle/stylus is not replaceable.
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

NP: I have a Pioneer Quartz-PLL Full Automatic PL-400 turntable. I bought it in mint condition a couple of years ago at the same record store I bought the RSD single, to replace my old broken turntable (I forgot the manufacturer name.)
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

not a bad table at all. do you get any "hum" out of it since it's a direct drive platter??? also,if the platter is removeable,make sure you put a drop or 2 of 3 in 1 oil on the spindle where it meets the motor at least once a year,it will increase it's life by a bit. here go a few pics of my 2 tables: http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x46/nightprowler1226/
TheACDCDoctor
Member #21,540

NP: I don't think I hear any humming when I rip the vinyl.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

ok,good. alot of those direct drives have some "humming" due to the way the magnets that drive the table are set up, it's very annoying to say the least. on your next table,unless you gonna dj with it,go for a belt or rim drive,you get less feedback from them & less "wow & flutter"
ros3
Member #23,267

Num Posts: 87

So help me out here. Whats this single in aid of and why only a one day relese ??.. I only found out about it today and wondered what the story with it was..
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

ros3,it was to promote record store day & all the true(& few) vinyl shops left in the world. this was just 1 of many releases for rsd. http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
ros3
Member #23,267

Num Posts: 87

Thanks mate. I'm now all clued up about the single.
nightprowler1226
Member #3,537

no problem. if you want a copy of it,let me know since i have a few extras.

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.