Forum

Forum

19?? Freedom Hall, Johnson City (TN) show/pics UPDATE

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

Back when I first became a member here I believe I sent Nate a PM regarding a friend of mine (who is also my neighbor now) who had some pics from a Freedom Hall, Johnson City (TN) show and mentioned I would try to get scans or copies of these, so I am hoping I can get them soon. He said he went to the show back in 1983, however the supporting acts he said he saw with AC/DC does not match the 1983 tour. He stated he saw them when they played with Cheap Trick + UFO, however I know they played with UFO + Cheap Trick in separate shows, but was there a date and venue where all 3 bands played? Anyway, his ex-wife made a scrapbook of all the concerts they went to and somewhere in that scrapbook are pics of the AC/DC concert he was at, along with a signed poster from the band. He said afterwards he went to a bar and in walked the band, which he was stunned and had a blast hanging in the same bar as the boys. I am thinking the concert he went to was the Bon era, and since none of the Freedom Hall shows during the bon era currently do not exist, this would be a gem to hear. He has a cassette of the show, but is leary of playing it because it has been sitting untouched all these years and he does not want to take the chance of having it ruined or does not know what he should do. Does anyone know if a tape can still be played after all these years just sitting and how does one convert a cassette to digital files? I have no equipment to do this, but maybe someone can shed some light on doing this. I would love to hear this and do a transfer, but do not know how and most likely would need some expensive equipment in doing this. Also, convincing my friend to hand it over to me would be hard since it is something he cherishes and has memories from, and would hate to have the tape get damaged or destroyed accidentally if trying to listen to it. Any ideas would be a plus, and I will keep everyone here updated on the situation hopefully I can get some pics and scans of some sort of the signed poster and photos. His ex-wife is a b*tch, so this is another obstacle he is facing. I am crossing my fingers on everything for now. Cheers ;)
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Another thing I forgot to mention was when my friend went to the bar after the show, he stated Bon and the guys were there, so he never could have seen them in 1983 which would be awesome to hear a Bon show from Freedom Hall circulate after all these years! BTW, he drinks a LOT, so his memory could have been clouded when I last talked to him and pointed this out to him. !!
LooseLipsSinkShips
Member #25,785

Num Posts: 460

Good luck Shakedown and hopefully we will be able to hear this gem! Cheers.
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Thanks LooseLips, I am hoping his ex-wife will be ok on letting him borrow the pics and memorabillia, without her approval this could be a dead end. I will try my best on begging and even have offered to pay some good money if I can get pics or copies of them along with a copy of the poster. Not sure on the harm there, but not my decision and I respect any outcome on this, even though I am acting like a beggar now ;(
Big Jack
Member #25,585

Num Posts: 410

Mmmh ex-wife?.... .....no i don't say anything about that ;) :) hahahaha Hope you get it! Thanks :)
LooseLipsSinkShips
Member #25,785

Num Posts: 460

Hopefully! But I do respect what your neighbour said about the cassettes, they are very temperamental! I've got the same problem with trying to convert my cassettes as I've got the Birmingham NEC 8th March 1988 show (I think) but am worried if the cassette breaks when recording.
BigNate
Member #1

Num Posts: 1,776

It would be great if you can get the pics, even better if he'll lend out the cassette. You can convert them a number of ways. I have a dual cassette player as part of a stereo system, then plug in my digital audio recorder (Zoom H2) and capture it. Works pretty well, and I can mess around with the levels afterward. If it's a Bon show, it could be one of three, or one of three Brian shows: http://acdc-bootlegs.com/concerthistory/?action=viewresults&city=Johnson%20City As far as playing old cassettes goes, it's basically either ruined or not ruined and is probably not going to get any better sitting there on the shelf. If he'd be willing to share it, I'd be happy to do my best to convert it. I've been slowly working through a lot of conversions over the past 2 years for someone else and have done it plenty of times.
RockerBon
Member #10,015

Num Posts: 57

I think that would be September 9, 1978. The fans here would love to hear anything new with Bon.
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Thanks everyone for the posts and Nate, I was thinking of asking him for the tape and if he can get it from his ex, I would send it to you since you know how to do this. I just want him to make sure he holds no one responsible for damaging or ruining the tape if it does not work since it is worth a try to try to get the show converted to a digital format, this way even if the tape is no longer playable, there is a digital copy which can be preserved and would last longer. Will keep everyone updated as I will be talking to him later today, and mentioning to pay his ex or even him for allowing me to get any copy of pics, poster, or the tape with some money a better chance of getting these items. Sometimes mentioning $$ will inspire someone to do this, but not always ;(
BigNate
Member #1

Num Posts: 1,776

Sounds good, let me know if I can help somehow.

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

^ No problem, I trust you with handling this type of stuff and I did get a chance to chat and have some beers with him yesterday. He will see what his ex has to say on letting me either scan or get copies of the pics and possibly obtaining the tape. Keep in mind though, they aren't on the best terms, but he will try since it is for someone else and not him, which he says may influence her to get some items. Will keep you posted. Thanks again ;)

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.