Forum

Forum

'The Jack" dirty version/First time used??

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

Was listening to the 'Bonfire Sampler' last night and when the live version of 'The Jack' was playing, I was wondering when the first time the "dirty" version was used live? I know there are probably shows earlier than the ones we have heard that have been circulated, but am curious when the first show or time that this song was sung using alternate "dirty" lyrics and if anyone knows. I like both versions, but the common one we always hear is awesome and glad they went with that one IMHO ;)
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

I don't know. Legend has it that they wrote the song after getting "the jack" (as it's known in Australia, here in the US it's typically referred to as "the clap") from a group of girls who later on were at a show, so they played the song and pointed out the girls. I don't know if that's completely true or not, but if it is, then it might mean that the "dirty" version was the "original" lyrics and they wrote the clean lyrics because of the label (who, oddly, later on through live releases, would release the dirty version). The Atlantic Studios version is the clean version, but that could be because the label wouldn't allow them to perform the dirty version cause it was going to be on radio (although in 96 the Album Network aired the version from the concert that made No Bull and VH1 Studios was the dirty version).
marteau
Member #25,303

Num Posts: 75

I think in mid 75, but before september, when the were relocated to freeway hotel. so in those few months when they were lived in 7 Lansdowne road, best six months of our lives, malcolm said. Lanceston show from jun can easily be one of the first dirty jack performances. the story is true - Bon pointed on several well known chicks during the chorus. P.S. check out the story of the ghouse on Martou.minus
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

Thanks guys for the info. I knew about the origin behind 'The Jack' and how the "dirty" version got started, was just wondering when exactly they started playing that version. I agree with what Travishayes89 said about how the clean lyrics were written most likely because of the label since back then radio and TV stations were more strict on what material was "appropriate", although nowadays you can hear the unclean version of 'The Jack' pretty much played on TV and radio without too much restriction. Hell, Janet Jackson's nipple slip during Super Bowl halftime made it for millions to see, so a song with some dirty lyrics is not that big of a deal!! lol!

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.