Forum

Forum

Sting's new album 'The Last Ship' w/Brian Johnson/2 tracks

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

So it is almost end of September and I remembered Sting was supposed to have Brian Johnson as a guest on his next album titled 'The Last Ship'. There are 2 tracks featuring Brian on vocals, although it seems a bit Irish/Jethro Tullish, something different than what we regularly are used to and I give Brian a thumbs up for trying out different things. I personally have a hard time listening to it, but to each our own I guess. See what the rest of you riff raff think ;) "Sky Hooks and Tartan Paint" http://videos.sapo.pt/VK3rJcHFo4ERQkvmJ0F6 "Shipyard" (featuring Jimmy Nail, Brian Johnson and Jo Lawry): http://videos.sapo.pt/M6AFBmbtZPjRau0PvJj0
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

Man, he sounds great here. Perhaps, dare I say, better than with AC/DC? I'd like to hear him do a full album of blues and folk standards like Eric Clapton did with Old Sock just to see what he could do with some more laid back music.
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Not much discussion here, many must not like him doing work with other artists!!
zoin
Member #13,328

Num Posts: 86

Wow. Of Course it's not AC/DC. Nothing for the hardcore fan. But if you like other Music styles, too (and I do, though AC/DC is my absolute favourite) -> These two Songs are great. Brian is singing really, really good. I like it.
Big Jack
Member #25,585

Num Posts: 410

Love it! :) Thx for the links shakedown! ;)
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

^ No problem Big Jack. I remember a discussion on this when news first came out that Brian would be appearing on Sting's next album where a handful were curious on what the tracks would sound like, so now we know ;) His vocals on these are really good, not the "screaming" and normal vocals we are used to with AC/DC which are awesome, but his vocals come through really nice on these. However, I need to get used to the Irish-like music which seems to distract me from Brian's singing ;)
RnRDamnation
Member #254

Num Posts: 798

Sting annoys the fuck out of me (although he can do some pretty mean covers - Purple Haze on SNL a generation back), but I applaud Brian for stretching out, too... In a way, it seems like he is now the most creative force in AC/DC, what with all the racing, books, musicals, TV shows, etc... Now to get him back in the lyrics seat (or at least open up AC/DC to becoming a bit more collaborative and open with each other again) and for them to get over their fear of writing songs that are "not AC/DC" and just to focus on writing damn good songs...
ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

^ well said RNRand I agree with what you said about getting Brian "back in the lyrics seat" and giving him a round of applause for reaching out beyond AC/DC.
Orelob
Member #25,097

Num Posts: 63

I was entertained; it's entertaining! It's perfect for a Christmas gift for any sea vessel enthusiast. I had visions of salty sea foam by the end of the second sample and visions of the CSS Shenandoah (a U.S.A. Confederate ship built in England) throughout both. It's a good tribute, reminder, refresher and revitalizer of Celtic/Sea Shanteys.

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.