Forum

Forum

1977 CBGB VIDEO

mathius
Member #8,273

Num Posts: 56

Hi all,

Is it true that this video tape exist or it´s just a rumor? anybody here has watched it?

Salutes.

Coco Bloco
Member #18,937

Num Posts: 903

well,

actually all tv channels record their tv shows,just,for archives stuffs.

so yeah,normally this tape exist.

mathius
Member #8,273

Num Posts: 56

I didn't mean a TV channel. I was talking about the CBGB, the famous Punk bar in New York. ACDC giged there in August of 1977. I read that a guy called Robert Francos recorded the show on video. I was wondering if it is just a rumor or a true story and the videotape really exist. And maybe someone in this forum has watched it Salutes
thunderstruc0
Member #280

Num Posts: 54

Robert Francos took a few photos of the show, but I highly doubt he recorded any video. The main band that night was Avenger & AC/DC was a last minute booking. At the time, NOBODY cared about AC/DC in New York. That's why they played two shows that day in very different venues...they we're trying to gain fans.

Fortunately, CBGB's was getting known as a showcase for groundbreaking music. Somebody showed up with a grundig reel-to-reel & recorded the first two songs, Live Wire & She's Got Balls. Those two tracks sound great, but unfortunately, it's all we have of that gig. It's a shame, too, because the set they played at the Palladium earlier had a blistering version of Baby Please Don't Go....I would love to hear that on the small stage & better sound at CBGB's.

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

Robert Francos did indeed tape at least the audio of this, not sure about video in which he describes why his photos from that show were blurry due to him having no flash (although like he states and I agree that it gives the photos a "motion" of the band, not a blur) and where you can hear someone talking at the beginning about Angus's legs. How much tape (video??) he shot, we may not know probably the 2 tracks we have now as thunderstruc0 pointed out, however he states he gave it to someone and it has shown up with collectors hinting this may be the boot with Live Wire + She's Got Balls.

More info of the show straight from Robert Francos can be viewed here:

http://ffanzeen.blogspot.com/2008/11/acdc-at-cbgbs-1977.html

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.