OleBrumm
Member #20,528

Num Posts: 65

See here:

https://www.facebook.com/acdc

DCforlife
Member #26,090

Num Posts: 68

http://www.acdcfans.net/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6203&page=1#Comment_139214

travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

ACDC.com says the same thing.

The big question is, can AC/DC truly be AC/DC without Mal? The band was always considered his. I believe Bon called him the brains and Angus always called him the better player. One comment on the forum link above mentioned a (speculative) possibility of Stevie Young coming back in. Is he even still in music?

The thing is, there's no "kinda" about it. This news, however brief of an announcement, IS official. It's been posted to two sources connected to the band, the official website (ACDC.com) and the official Facebook page.

Perhaps AC/DC (sans Mal) will still do the proposed 40 date tour this year or next and officially retire, with a possibility that we also get one more album. That being said, I don't see the rest of the band wanting to continue without Malcolm for too long. You have to remember that the band was ready to hang it up in 1980 after Bon died, but his parents told the guys they HAD to keep going. Malcolm was a key to the band's sound and a key to the band's songwriting. You can't easily replace that.

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

^ Good points Travis, especially about how Malcolm was called the brains behind the band. Malcolm is the brains behind the whole band, sort of like the human body. You see, a heart can keep a body going, but without a brain, you have nothing productive which can come out of it. So just like the brains of the band, without him, it will not be the same. Sure, we had Bon take over from dickhead Dave which after his death, many did not think the band would go on and become much of anything without him. But Malcolm was still the brains behind everything and was one of the founders of the group, so again replacing him especially at this point of the game would be stupid. I think if anything a tour should be done (that is IF the guys want to, which is fine by me if they choose not to) rather than put out a rushed through album just becasue some fans want one put out. After all, do we really need another flop like 'Black Ice' just because they are AC/DC and are expected to give us another great album??

thunderstruc0
Member #280

Num Posts: 54

^^ I think Black Ice was a great album. Throughout the whole disc, the Youngs held it steady & rocked when needed; Phil left a bit to be desired....but Cliff picked up the slack. Brian was on top of his game.

I don't want Black Ice to be their last album, but if it is...they went out on top.

That being said; I don't think AC/DC should continue without Malcolm. He WAS the band.

Hawksboy
Member #23,988

Num Posts: 135

sorry shake, but i think calling dave a dickhead is a little out of line. i think everyone accepts dave was not the right fit, just like all the other previous members. from what ive heard and seen of him, hes actually a nice bloke.

i also disagree about the black ice comments, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so i respect that. i think if they were to release another album (which would also be their last), it would have to be with mal in it. its how its always been done and i cant seem to feel it would be acdc without him. i cant see (out of respect of all the band members) how they could go out without one of thier own. i think theyre a very proud bunch of guys, and they know what is right for themselves.

but thats just my thoughts anyway. if it was a stroke, which they say it is, at least there is a chance of him recovering, which is the main thing. long live mal and acdc!

ShakedownIce
Member #25,433

Num Posts: 1,668

^ Not out of line at all, many share the same views as me on how his ego got the better of him and his disrespectful comments towards the band. But hey, you can worship him any way you like, go nuts.

As far as Black Ice, there are many here who agree with how a flop it was, no need to rehash this since I am entitled to my views and opinions. Have a nice night cheeky

RnRDamnation
Member #254

Num Posts: 798

Black Ice has awesome riffs, but is ultimately kind of meaningless, with nothing to connect or relate to, but that's true of pretty much any post-Bon AC/DC album.

I interpret the news as this: They're going to go into the studio in May and try to bang something out despite Mal's illness. Hopefully it works.

Then they'll think about the 40 date 40th anniversary tour. It wouldn't surprise me if someone steps in to play Mal's parts, though.

Let's hope if this is the way they go out, they play a "deep cuts" show and not an Enormo-dome cloned setlist tour as they did on the Black Ice tour.

Also, props to Mal: One awesome riff-meister. It's very hard to do what he does well, even though it's only 3 chords re-arranged in a different order for each song. We may be saying goodbye to him in the next year or so, so all of AC/DC fandom should be backing Mal and his family up with all the positive energy and support we can muster.

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.