Forum

Forum

Just came back from a River Plate Preview event REVIEW

Angus.Rocker@gmx.de
Member #358

Num Posts: 21

Hi Folks, its 2 AM in germany and i just attendet a Live at River Plate Preview party. The Party was hosted by a local radio station and the tickets could only be won during their mornig show. Well, where do I start? Sound: Awesome The Sound was engineered and recorded by Mike Fraser und the Mastering was done by the legendary George Marino at his "Sterling Sound" Mastering Studio in NY. Since Live At Donnington had the best sound, in my opinion ( I'm an audio engineer ) and No Bull and Stiff Upper Lip Live sounded crappy, I'm glad to have a AC/DC Live Expirince with really great sound. It's not as good as Donnington, but way better then NB and SUL. Video Footage: Awesome Crowd: The rowdiest crowd I've ever seen. There were so many funny moments with crowd bumps und an 8 year old kid that was thrown up in the air. There are a lot of beautiful women in the audience and you couldn't see a single blond hair in the audience. It's funny that I had this realisation. Blu Ray on a huge Cinema-Screan with Surroung Sound kicks ass. There was a Shot of the full moon which faded into a shot of the stage. amazing. The concert starts in the dark, which is nice, too. My criticism is, that the breaks between the songs are cut very very short. just a few seconds between each song or announcement. The exitement is kept up, but you don't have any time to take a breath. Like, I had to pee for a longer period of time, but I wanted to see angus striptease. So after The Jack was over I wanted to go to the toilet, but Hells Bells started immediately. Angus' Solo in LTBR is really choppy and sloppy, and it quickly gets boring. Its alwys a mixture of slow parts and thrashy mixed notes and sounds. It has the classic elements, but it is very long..... too long for my, personally. The canons in For Those About To Rock are very quiet in the mix. I can't explain you why this is, but I think they are mixed that way on purpose. I have several Black Ice Bootlegs and the canons are alwys louder and more agressive. Various Solos by Angus are clearly overdubbed. I mean, I have no prolems with overdubs, if it helps the sound, but espacially the solo in You Shook me all night long.... pay attention to that one. It sounds so roomy.... like thy re-recorded the solo in a garage or small 3x3meters room with stone walls. Well, All in All I make the following points: Sound: 8 / 10 ( if Donnington is 9,5 ) Pictures: 9,5 / 10 ( very well directed ) Fun Factor: ( 9 / 10 ) Live feeling: 7 / 10 ( short cuts and mixed audience noises ) Band playing: 8 / 10 ( they rock and groove but there are too many overdubs ) Go out and buy it. Its worth it. If you can afford it, buy a blu ray projector and player and a killer audio system. Thats all folks. Greetings from Saarbrücken. Mischi
pumpumkillah
Member #24,973

Num Posts: 21

Cool! Thanks for the review! I'm going to the screening in Paris on tuesday
Ulsterman46
Member #23,694

Num Posts: 142

good to hear, I'm going to London next week for it, can't wait
matirocker
Member #24,367

Num Posts: 183

I watched it too, but noticed nothing wrong with You Shook Me solo.... I could be wrong tho, it was a blink-and-miss moment for me. It's weird you said that but didn't mention that most of the backing vocals are from the studio recording... anyway, thanks for the review!!

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.