Forum

Forum

Anyone else notice this??

Hells Death
Member #24,593

Num Posts: 331

I have the Iron Man 2 album and all the other albums on CD, and I was just re-ripping them to 320 kbps AAC (only AC/DC is worth re-ripping every album) :P, and I noticed that on average, the songs ripped from the Iron Man 2 album were 2 megabytes larger than their album counterparts. i.e. T.N.T. (IM2) was 12.1MB, but T.N.T. (High Voltage) was 10.1MB. And they were the same exact times, maybe a discrepancy of ONE SECOND. I was just wondering if this is maybe my encoder (iTunes) or something else??
sapator
Member #210

Num Posts: 1,619

Maybe Sony have inserted subliminal messages that take space.Such us "buuyyy our crappp" or "Geeet Plug me innn Geeet plug me iiiinnn!"
musicdreams7999
Member #24,670

Num Posts: 517

hells is it vinyl ?
Hells Death
Member #24,593

No, they're all the CD remasters and the CD Iron Man 2 albums. I just find it weird. An extra second doesn't amount to another 2 MB of space...
nitroangus23
Member #22,835

Num Posts: 1,486

Hmmm,that is pretty weird. Maybe it's to do with the mixing/mastering? Mike Fraser said in an interview for Iron Man 2 that he did some remixing to the tracks for the "soundtrack". Thunderstruck,Guns For Hire,and The Razors Edge are the 3 main ones that I instantly thought sounded "better" on Iron Man 2.The rest sound just like the '03 remasters to my ears. My point is, now days audio remasters/new material is often "brick walled" giving them a much louder compressed sound compared to the original CD/vinyl pressing. I may be wrong (most likely I am) but,maybe the loudness of the Iron Man 2 track has an effect on the size compared to the album versions? lol try not to laugh at the stupidity in that theory ^^ :D
aldabe_
Member #2,014

Num Posts: 30

you are not wrong flick, but it's not only the loudness. Every single characteristc (for ex. frequencies, decay, dinamic range...) of an audio file counts in the compression. almost all audio encoders (mp3, aac, wma, dolby...) are based in a phychoacoustics model to minimze the filesize, so the recorded audio itself is important, not only the length of the song. :-)
Hells Death
Member #24,593

I was talking with a friend recently and he said that Deluxe versions of albums tend to have higher quality recordings. I DO have the deluxe IM2 album... but I don't know, but loudness isn't something I think would do it. I boost low sounding songs in audacity all the time, but they import at the same (visible) capacity. I don't check, but maybe a few KILOBYTES of info were added, and that's gotta be it...
aldabe_
Member #2,014

Num Posts: 30

the quality for all audio cds in the world are the same: 16 bits of resolution w/ sample rate of 44100 kHz and there is no difference between the mastering of deluxe and non-deluxe cds. that 2MB difference may be a different setting in the encoder.
travishayes89
Member #8,722

Num Posts: 1,131

From my experience using both the iTunes AAC encoder and other (I guess you can call them "third party" encoders for the purposes of discussion of iTunes vs others) encoders that AAC doesn't encode at a constant bit rate like CBR MP3s. AAC is almost always variable bit rate. MP3 is typically CBR, but in recent years VBR MP3 encoding has become somewhat of a norm. Maximum PC one time in a "how-to" guide on archiving your CDs into an MP3 archive used the program Exact Audio Copy and LAME's V2 setting (which gives you VBR encoding that's around 192 kbps). It's likely that the other CDs are just a bit quieter (or maybe a bit more dynamic) than the Iron Man 2 CD and the VBR nature of the AAC encoder had to use about 2 more MB to make the file have the same subjective quality.
musicdreams7999
Member #24,670

Num Posts: 517

flick your not wrong with the ffmpeg encoder for flac being bigger file size and mp3 i don't know i don't really mp3 anything.
i have not had itunes in years.
if want to listen not on the computer i make a cue file and listen to cd and if the audio is 24-bit i keep it 24-bit and make a avchd video with a pic and use my a/v home surround with standalone blu-ray player.

Post a Reply

You must be signed in to post a response. Sign in here.